Sunday, February 18, 2007

redeemed garbage

Istanbul is full of trash pickers. They seem to be the hardest working
people in the city. In one of the newspaper interviews one of them
explained his thoughts,” Every garbage can contains a new dream.
You go to a garbage bin. You dip your hand inside, and you start dreaming about what you might find. Perhaps it will be something valuable. And if you don’t find it in this bin, you go to the next. In this manner, you can walk for seven or eight hours daily.”
I somehow find something very redemptive in this philosophy.
When I look at a big heap of trash I easily can see my own life in it.
That’s where I’m from and that’s where I would be, if God didn't give me grace.
It’s so comforting to know that I’ll never be dumped again.
God doesn’t throw away things that are broken.
He doesn’t reject people who have failed.
We are his treasure, found in the garbage. Ephesians 2:10

No comments: