Tuesday, April 22, 2008

who is sitting next to you?

A strange thought amused me yesterday.
I pictured Mother Theresa sitting next to the Barbie Doll
in the church. I have not had any friendship with neither
of them, but I understood that the church is the only place
where they could be sitting together. I also understood that
I should be very careful not to judge any of them by sight.
They represent two different worlds, two kinds of value
systems. If they both come for the second time the church
has somewhat managed to minister to them. If they continue
coming , they will sooner or later start looking less like Theresa
and less like Barbie. They will be more like Christ.
Isn’t that what the church is all about?
We proudly say, “Come as you are.”
That is a bold invitation.
Shouldn’t we add, “as long as you are not smelling bad;
you have a steady job; you have a place to live in;
you promise not to ask for any money; you speak our language;
you are really honest, humble and sincere…
The unwritten list goes on in our minds.
“But we want to feel comfortable in the church.”
I agree, but I don’t agree with the church becoming
a comfort zone for our flesh.
“ and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and
say to him,” You sit here in a good place,” and say to
the poor man, “You stand there,” or, “sit here at my footstool,”
have you not shown partiality among yourselves, and become
judges with evil thoughts?” James 2:3-4
I continued my thoughts and pictured Bin Laden and Santa Clause
sitting together in the second row.

No comments: